16 August 2010

Books I Would Probably Kill For

Freak List, entry three: Sherlock Holmes, 2010 version. (Me? Fangirling about yet another loquacious, amoral genius? Never. ^^)

~

I have quite a sizeable list of Books I Really Want To Read. In some cases, I have a legitimate excuse for not having read them (for instance, the book's not out yet, or I'm broke). And some, I have no excuse whatsoever. (I don't count 'can't get past the first chapter without losing interest' as a valid excuse. Even in the case of War and Peace. *is shamefaced*)

I haven't written down the list. So don't expect me to just recite it.

One of the books near the top of the list, however, is Anna and the French Kiss, by the charming Stephanie Perkins. And I have a valid excuse for not having read it: it isn't out until December. I fell in love with Stephanie Perkins' writing style (bubbly, quirky and clever) via her blog, back when the Book, her debut novel, was still called Anna and the Boy Masterpiece. (She refers to the Boy with a capital B. I think I need to refer to the Book with a capital B.)

Needless to say, my reaction when I discovered she is giving away an ARC of Anna was to squee loudly. (It's nearly midnight, and my house is silent. I sincerely hope that means I didn't wake anyone up with the squee.) My second reaction was "SQUEEEEE IT'S INTERNATIONAL HOW CAN I ENTER HOW HOW HOW?" Yes, I'm ashamed to say that it probably was about that coherent. So, the giveaway is over here, and this is an entry. Also, there is now a countdown widget in the sidebar. Because I am just that desperate. ;)

Another item on the list is (still!) Sarah Rees Brennan's The Demon's Covenant. I swear the world is conspiring against my efforts to get hold of this book. Seriously. I tried to get it in my local Waterstone's. They didn't have it. Then I tried again. I couldn't afford it. Soon I will resort to Amazon. I mean, seriously? Seriously, World?

Bookshops in Cambridge are dropping like flies at the moment. Except the flies don't drop much around here. Only on my face when I am trying to sleep. So that's a bad cliché to use. Still. I think two out of five have closed in the last six months alone. It's quite depressing.

I will sign off, before I get more off-topic. Speaking of topics, things which I want to write about soon include the concert season, the German Exchange, reviews of Love Never Dies and A Winter's Tale, and probably Results Day or some general insanity. Or just many more posts of me ranting about my latest TV crush. You choose.

(I joke. I will, of course, choose the more esoteric option, just to be pretentious and refrain from the use of diminutive words. ;) )

1 comment: